Referees Code of Conduct as published by the OSA
To ensure a safe environment for all soccer participants, referees have been given special responsibilities and are therefore expected to act with professionalism and courtesy at all times. There is an OSA Board approved “Code of Conduct” for Ontario Referees as follows:
Game officials having certain privileges through and by The Association, with respect to the game, shall realize and respect their responsibilities and duties to The Association and the game. The Association endorses the Canadian Soccer Association’s “Code of Ethics” for Game Officials.
Specifically Game Officials shall:
- Conduct themselves with dignity both on and off the field of play and shall, by example, endeavour to inspire the true principles of fair play and earn the respect of those whom they serve.
- Not cause The Association to become involved in any controversial matters and shall abide by the rules and regulations of the jurisdiction in which they officiate.
- Adhere to all standards and directives.
- Always be neat in appearance and maintain a high live of physical and mental fitness.
- Study the Laws of the game and be aware of all changes, and shall enforce all said Laws and changes.
- Perform their designated responsibilities, including attending organized clinics and lectures, etc., and shall assist their colleagues in upgrading and improving the standards of officiating, instructing and assessing
- Honour any appointments made for an accepted by them unless unable to do so by virtue of illness or personal emergency.
Not publicly criticize other officials or any soccer association nor shall they make any statements to the media related to any game in which they were involved and be subject to disciplinary action for not complying with this Code of Conduct.